- Animal companions and one year survival of patients after discharge from a coronary care unit.Public Health Rep. 1980; 95: 307-312
- Social interaction and blood pressure: the influence of animal companions.J Nerv Ment Dis. 1983; 171: 461-465
- Presence of human friends and pet dogs as moderators of autonomic responses to stress in women.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1991; 61: 582-589
- Beneficial effects of pet ownership on some aspects of human health.J R Soc Med. 1991; 84: 717-720
- Preliminary report: effect of encainide and flecainide on mortality in a randomized trial of arrhythmia suppression after myocardial infarction.N Engl J Med. 1989; 321: 406-412
- Pet ownership and risk factors for cardiovascular disease.Med J Aust. 1992; 157: 298-301
- Mortality and morbidity in patients receiving encainide, flecainide, or placebo: the Cardiac Arrhythmia Suppression Trial.N Engl J Med. 1991; 324: 781-788
- The Cardiac Arrhythmia Suppression Trial: First CAST…then CAST-II.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1992; 19: 894-898
- A brief measure of social support: practical and theoretical implications.J Soc Pers Relationships. 1987; 4: 497-510
- The social readjustment rating scale.J Psychosom Res. 1967; 11: 213-218
- STAI Manual. Consulting Psychologist Press, Palo Alto, CA1972 Version 5 ed.
- A self rating depression scale.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1965; 12: 63-70
- Jenkins Activity Survey Manual. Psychological Corporation, New York1979 Version 5 ed.
- The experience and expression of anger: construction and validation of anger expression scale.in: Chesney MA Rosenman RH Anger and Hostility in Cardiovascular and Behavioral Disorder. Hemisphere/McGraw Hill, New York1985: 5-30
- Assessing social support: The Social Support Questionnaire.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1983; 44: 127-139
- Social support as an individual difference variable: its stability, origins, and relational aspects.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1986; 50: 845-855
- Companion animal demographics and unwanted animals in the United States.Anthrozoos. 1992; 5: 222-225
- Psychosocial predictors of mortality in the Cardiac Arrhythmia Suppression Trial-1 (CAST-1).Am J Cardiol. 1994; 71: 263-267
- The role of pets in enhancing human wellbeing: physiological effects.in: Robinson I Waltham Book of Human Animal Interactions. Pergamon, Oxford1995: 33-53
- Emotional support and survival after myocardial infarction.Ann Intern Med. 1992; 117: 1003-1009
- Prognostic importance of social and economic resources among medically treated patients with angiographically documented coronary artery disease.JAMA. 1992; 267: 520-525
- The pet as an anxiolytic intervention.J Nerv Ment Dis. 1991; 179: 482-489
- Stressful life events and use of physician services among the elderly: the moderating role of pet ownership.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1990; 58: 1081-1086
☆This study was supported in part by grants from The Delta Society, Renton, Washington, Grant 5RO1 NR02043-01 from the National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, and grants from the Professional Staff Congress-City University of New York, New York, New York Research Award Program.