Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- In search of an optimal behavioral treatment for hypertension: a review and focus on transcendental meditation.in: Johnson EH Gentry WD Julius S Personality, Elevated Blood, and Essential Hypertension. Hemisphere Publishing, Washington1992: 291-318
- Effects of transcendental meditation compared to other methods of relaxation and meditation in reducing risk factors, morbidity and mortality.Homeostasis. 1994; 35: 243-264
- A randomized controlled trial of stress reduction for hypertension in older African Americans.Hypertension. 1995; 26: 820-829
- Physiological difference between transcen-dental meditation and rest.Am Psychol. 1987; 42: 879-881
- Differential effects of relaxation techniques on trait anxiety: a meta-analysis.J Clin Psychol. 1989; 45: 957-974
- Transcendental meditation, self actualization, and psychological health: a conceptual overview and statistical meta-analysis.Soc Behav Pers. 1991; 6: 189-247
- Medical care utilization and the transcendental medita-tion program.Psychosom Med. 1987; 49: 493-507
- Tran-scendental meditation, mindfulness, and longevity: an experimental study with the elderly.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1989; 57: 950-964
- American College of Sports Medicine, Guideline for Exercise Testing and Prescription.in: Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia1991: 121-159
- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's Transcendental Meditation.in: DC: Primus, Washington1994: 90-102
- Human Physiology-Expression of Veda and the Vedic Literature.Maharishi University Press, Vlodrop, Holland1994
- Statistical Principles in Experimental Design.in: McGrawHill, New York1971: 286
- Exercise tolerance in patients with angina pectoris: daily variation and effect of penta-crythritol tetranitrate.Johns Hopkins Med J. 1969; 125: 301-311
- Exercise standards, a statement for health care professionals from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 1995; 91: 580-615
- Physical Activity, Fitness, and Health: Consensus Statement.Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL1993
- Regular physical exercise and low-fat diet: effects on progression of coronary artery disease.Circulation. 1992; 86: 1-11
- Coronary vasospasm in humans: the role of atherosclerosis and of impaired endothelial vasodilator function.Basic Res Cardiol. 1991; 86: 215-222
- Can lifestyle changes reverse coronary heart disease?.Lancet. 1990; 336: 129-133
- Physiological effects of Benson's relaxation response during submaximal aerobic exercise in coronary artery dis-ease patients.J Cardiol Rehabil. 1987; 7: 534-539
*This study was supported by a grant from the Western New York Heart Association. Dr. Zamarra's address is: 1001 East Chapman Ave. Fullerton, California 92631.
**In conclusion, results of this prospective, singleblind, controlled pilot study suggest that practice with the Transcendental Meditation program is useful in reducing exercise-induced myocardial ischemia in patients with coronary artery disease and may be considered beneficial for the prevention and treatment of coronary artery disease.