Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Pew Research Center. Key facts about Asian Americans, a diverse and growing population. Available at:https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/04/29/key-facts-about-asian-americans/. Accessed on May 15, 2022.
- American Heart Association Council on Epidemiology and Prevention, American Heart Association Council on Peripheral Vascular Disease, American Heart Association Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism, American Heart Association Council on Clinical Cardiology, American Heart Association Council on Cardiovascular Nursing, Council on Cardiovascular Nursing. Call to action: cardiovascular disease in Asian Americans: a science advisory from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2010; 122: 1242-1252
- Knowledge gaps, challenges, and opportunities in health and prevention research for Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders: a report from the 2021 National Institutes of Health workshop.Ann Intern Med. 2022; 175: 574-589
Pew Research Center. Vietnamese in the U.S. fact sheet. Available at:https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/fact-sheet/asian-americans-vietnamese-in-the-u-s-fact-sheet/. Accessed on May 15, 2022.
US News & World Report. Vietnam. Available at:https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/vietnam. Accessed on May 15, 2022.
Consulate of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in New York. Brief History of Vietnam. Available at:https://www.vietnamconsulate-ny.org/about/2/brief-history-of-vietnam.html. Accessed on May 15, 2022.
Asia for Educators. Vietnam—Timeline of Historical Periods. Available at:http://afe.easia.columbia.edu/timelines/vietnam_timeline.htm. Accessed on May 15, 2022.
Britannica. Vietnam: government and society. Available at:https://www.britannica.com/place/Vietnam/Government-and-society. Accessed on May 31, 2022.
US News & World Report. Best countries for education. Available at:https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/best-countries-for-education. Accessed on May 15, 2022.
Statista. Demographics in Vietnam – statistics and facts. Available at:https://www.statista.com/topics/5991/demographics-in-vietnam/. Accessed on May 15, 2022.
Zhou M, Bankston III CL. The experience of Vietnamese refugee children in the United States. Available at:https://www.learningforjustice.org/sites/default/files/kits/vac_brief_history.pdf. Accessed on May 15, 2022.
Pew Research Center. Vietnamese Americans. Available at:https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/rise-of-asian-americans-2012-analysis/vietnamese/. Accessed on May 16, 2022.
Immigration Policy Center. From refugees to Americans: thirty years of Vietnamese immigration to the United States. Available at:https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/sites/default/files/research/RefugeestoAmericans.pdf. Accessed on May 31, 2022.
Migration Policy Institute. Vietnamese immigrants in the United States; 2021, October 15. Available at:https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/vietnamese-immigrants-united-states. Accessed on May 31, 2022.
Ethnic Media Services. How the U.S. Census impacts the Vietnamese community. Available at:https://ethnicmediaservices.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/EMS-Anhs-VIETNAMESE-FAQ.pdf. Accessed on May 16, 2022.
- Self-reported health status of Vietnamese and non-Hispanic white older adults in California.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008; 56: 1543-1548
Pew Research Center. English proficiency of Vietnamese population in the U.S., 2015. Available at:https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/chart/english-proficiency-of-vietnamese-population-in-u-s/. Accessed on May 15, 2022.
Statista. Vietnam: life expectancy at birth from 2010 to 2020, by gender. Available at:https://www.statista.com/statistics/974763/life-expectancy-at-birth-in-vietnam-by-gender/. Accessed on May 31, 2022.
Macrotrends. Vietnam life expectancy 1950–2022. Available at:https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/VNM/vietnam/life-expectancy. Accessed on May 15, 2022.
- Global burden of cardiovascular diseases and risk factors, 1990–2019: update from the GBD 2019 study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020; 76: 2982-3021
World Health Organization. Cardiovascular diseases (CVD) in Viet Nam. Available at:https://www.who.int/vietnam/health-topics/cardiovascular-diseases#. Accessed on May 15, 2022.
- Cardiovascular disease risk factor patterns and their implications for intervention strategies in Vietnam.Int J Hypertens. 2012; 2012560397
- Estimation of Vietnam national burden of disease 2008.Asia Pac J Public Health. 2014; 26: 527-535
- Heart failure in Southeast Asia: facts and numbers.ESC Heart Fail. 2015; 2: 46-49
- Global, regional, and national comparative risk assessment of 79 behavioural, environmental and occupational, and metabolic risks or clusters of risks, 1990–2015: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015.Lancet. 2016; 388: 1659-1724
- Prevalence of tobacco smoking in Vietnam: findings from the Global Adult Tobacco Survey 2015.Int J Public Health. 2017; 62: 121-129
World Health Organization. Smoking causes 40 000 deaths in Viet Nam each year. Available at:https://www.who.int/vietnam/news/detail/27-05-2018-smoking-causes-40-000-deaths-in-viet-nam-each-year. Accessed on May 15, 2022.
- Prevalence, awareness, treatment and control of hypertension in Vietnam-results from a national survey.J Hum Hypertens. 2012; 26: 268-280
- National prevalence and associated risk factors of hypertension and prehypertension among Vietnamese adults.Am J Hypertens. 2015; 28: 89-97
- Global burden of 87 risk factors in 204 countries and territories, 1990–2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019.Lancet. 2020; 396: 1223-1249
- Epidemiological features of cardiovascular disease in Asia.JACC Asia. 2021; 1: 1-13
- Vietnam a country in transition: health challenges.BMJ Nutr Prev Health. 2020; 3: 60-66
- Engaging the ASEAN diaspora: type 2 diabetes prevalence, pathophysiology, and unique risk factors among Filipino migrants in the United States.J ASEAN Fed Endocr Soc. 2019; 34: 126-133
World Health Organization. The growing burden of diabetes in Viet Nam. Available at:https://www.who.int/vietnam/news/feature-stories/detail/the-growing-burden-of-diabetes-in-viet-nam#. Accessed on May 15, 2022.
- Appropriate body-mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies.Lancet. 2004; 363: 157-163
- Prevalence and risk factors with overweight and obesity among Vietnamese adults: Caucasian and Asian cut-offs.Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2009; 18: 226-233
- Identification of undiagnosed type 2 diabetes by systolic blood pressure and waist-to-hip ratio.Diabetologia. 2010; 53: 2139-2146
- Cardiovascular RISk Prevention (CRISP) in Asia Network. Prevalence of plasma lipid disorders with an emphasis on LDL cholesterol in selected countries in the Asia-Pacific region.Lipids Health Dis. 2021; 20: 33
- Physical activity in Vietnam: estimates and measurement issues.PLoS ONE. 2015; 10e0140941
- Leading causes of death among Asian American subgroups (2003–2011).PLoS ONE. 2015; 10e0124341
- Cardiovascular disease mortality in Asian Americans.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 64: 2486-2494
- Geographic variations in cardiovascular disease mortality among Asian American subgroups, 2003–2011.J Am Heart Assoc. 2017; 6e005597
- Years of potential life lost because of cardiovascular disease in Asian-American subgroups, 2003–2012.J Am Heart Assoc. 2019; 8e010744
- Cardiovascular and cerebrovascular disease mortality in Asian American subgroups.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2022; 15e008651
- Smoking prevalence among Asian Americans: findings from the National Latino and Asian American Study (NLAAS).Public Health Rep. 2006; 121: 755-763
- Prevalence and predictors of smoking behavior among Vietnamese men living in California.Nicotine Tob Res. 2005; 7: 103-109
- Differences in patterns of tobacco use in Vietnamese, African-American, Hispanic, and Caucasian adolescents in Worcester, Massachusetts.Am J Prev Med. 1996; 12: 29-37
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Cardiovascular risk in the Vietnamese community: formative research from Houston, Texas. Available at:https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/resources/cardiovascular-risk-vietnamese-community. Accessed on May 15, 2022.
- Self-reported prevalence of hypertension and antihypertensive medication use among Asian Americans: Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System 2013, 2015 and 2017.J Immigr Minor Health. 2021; 23: 26-34
- Racial/ethnic differences in hypertension prevalence, treatment, and control for outpatients in northern California 2010–2012.Am J Hypertens. 2015; 28: 631-639
- Cardiovascular risk factors and knowledge of symptoms among Vietnamese Americans.J Gen Intern Med. 2009; 24: 238-243
- Hypertension prevalence, treatment, and related behaviors among Asian Americans: an examination by method of measurement and disaggregated subgroups.J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2019; 6: 584-593
County of Santa Clara. Status of Vietnamese health: Santa Clara County, California, 2011.Available at:https://publichealth.sccgov.org/sites/g/files/exjcpb916/files/vha-full-2011.pdf. Accessed on May 31, 2022.
- Prevalence of diabetes by race and ethnicity in the United States, 2011–2016.JAMA. 2019; 322: 2389-2398
- The prevalence and management of diabetes among Vietnamese Americans: a population-based survey of an understudied ethnic group.Chronic Illn. 2022; 18: 306-319
- Ethnic group differences in obesity in Asian Americans in California, 2013–2014.BMC Public Health. 2021; 21: 1589
- Central obesity and risk of cardiovascular disease in the Asia Pacific region.Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2006; 15: 287-292
- Trends in obesity and adiposity measures by race or ethnicity among adults in the United States 2011–18: population based study.BMJ. 2021; 372: n365
- Heterogeneity of cardiovascular disease risk factors among Asian immigrants: insights from the 2010 to 2018 National Health Interview Survey.J Am Heart Assoc. 2021; 10e020408
- Physical activity among Asian American adults in Houston, Texas: data from the Health of Houston Survey 2010.J Immigr Minor Health. 2016; 18: 1470-1481
- Trends in gestational diabetes at first live birth by race and ethnicity in the US, 2011–2019.JAMA. 2021; 326: 660-669
- Gestational diabetes and hypertensive disorders of pregnancy by maternal birthplace.Am J Prev Med. 2022; 62: e223-e231
- American Heart Association Council on Quality of Care and Outcomes Research, Council on Epidemiology and Prevention, Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing, Council on Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health, Stroke Council. Social determinants of risk and outcomes for cardiovascular disease: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2015; 132: 873-898
- Social determinants of health and cardiovascular disease: current state and future directions towards healthcare equity.Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2021; 23: 55
- Health characteristics of the Asian adult population: United States, 2004–2006.Adv Data. 2008; 394: 1-22
- Health status of Cambodians and Vietnamese–selected communities, United States, 2001–2002.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2004; 53: 760-765
United States Census Bureau. Detailed languages spoken at home and ability to speak English for the population 5 years and over: 2009-2013. Available at:http://www.census.gov/data/tables/2013/demo/2009-2013-lang-tables.html. Accessed on May 15, 2022.
- English language proficiency and smoking prevalence among California's Asian Americans.Cancer. 2005; 104: 2982-2988
- Health care access, utilization, and management in adult Chinese, Koreans, and Vietnamese with cardiovascular disease and hypertension.J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2016; 3: 340-348
- Health conditions, outcomes, and service access among Filipino, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean Adults in California, 2011–2017.Am J Public Health. 2020; 110: 520-526
- Knowledge of cardiovascular health among Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese immigrants to the US.J Immigr Minor Health. 2011; 13: 127-139
- Health care access and preventive care among Vietnamese immigrants: do traditional beliefs and practices pose barriers?.Soc Sci Med. 1996; 43: 1049-1056