Described herein are findings in 55 non-infected bioprostheses that had been in the aortic valve position from 2 to 276 months (mean 107). The major purpose of this study was to illustrate the variable causes prompting excision of the bioprostheses. Fifty-three (96%) patients survived ≥ 30 days following the bioprosthetic excision and 50 (91%) patients lived ≥1 year postoperatively. The techniques used to explant the bioprostheses appear to vary considerably among the operating surgeons.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Cardiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Degeneration of bioprosthetic heart valves: update 2020.J Am Heart Assoc. 2020; 20 (9)e018506
Roberts WC, Manzoori S, Hassan MH, Salam YM, Roberts CS. Infective endocarditis involving a bioprosthesis in the aortic valve position with operative excision. Am J Cardiol (In Press).
- Bioprosthetic aortic valve durability in the era of transcatheter aortic valve implantation.Heart. 2018; 104: 1323-1332
- Standardized definition of structural valve degeneration for surgical and transcatheter bioprosthetic aortic valves.Circulation. 2018; 137: 388-399
- Bicuspid aortic valve repair: causes of valve failure and long-term outcomes.Ann Thorac Surg. 2021; 111: 1225-1232
- Impact of dialysis in patients undergoing bioprosthetic aortic valve replacement.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2021; 33: 348-353
- Subvalvular pannus overgrowth after mosaic bioprosthesis implantation in the aortic position.Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016; 22: 108-111
- Closed chest human aortic valve removal and replacement: technical feasibility and one year follow-up.Int J Cardiol. 2016; 211: 71-78
- Pure cusp tear of trifecta bioprosthesis 2 years after aortic valve replacement.Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2017; 23: 157-160
- Redo aortic valve replacement following bio-bentall's procedure.Heart Lung Circ. 2019; 28: e131-e133
- How to replace a bioprosthetic aortic valve within the bentall graft.J Card Surg. 2020; 35: 656-658
- Intraoperative trifecta valve malfunction.Ann Thorac Surg. 2021; 112: e107-e109
- Valve-shaped thrombus underneath an aortic bioprosthesis.J Card Surg. 2021; 36: 3846-3847
- The pathology of early failure in Mitroflow pericardial valve bioprosthesis (12A/LX).Cardiovasc Pathol. 2021; 55107373
- Redo aortic valve replacement due to early structural valve deterioration in a trifecta valve: a case report.Int J Surg Case Rep. 2021; 86106381
- Early stenosis of an aortic porcine bioprosthesis due to thrombosis: case report and literature review.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2015; 149: e83-e86
Received in revised form: November 4, 2022
Received: June 2, 2022
© 2022 Published by Elsevier Inc.