Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Diabetes Statistics Report 2020. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pdfs/data/statistics/national-diabetes-statistics-report.pdf. Accessed on XXX.
- 2018 ACC Expert Consensus Decision Pathway on novel therapies for cardiovascular risk reduction in patients with type 2 diabetes and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology Task Force on Expert consensus Decision Pathways.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 72: 3200-3223
- Resurgence in diabetes-related complications.JAMA. 2019; 321: 1867-1868
- Mortality and cardiovascular disease in type 1 and type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 1407-1418
- Cardiovascular benefits of SGLT2 inhibitors and GLP-1 receptor agonists in type 2 diabetes.JAMA. 2019; 321: 1720-1721
- SGLT2 inhibitors for primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular and renal outcomes in type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cardiovascular outcome trials.Lancet. 2019; 393: 31-39
- Cardiovascular, mortality, and kidney outcomes with GLP-1 receptor agonists in patients with type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised trials.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2021; 9: 653-662
- LEADER Steering Committee, LEADER Trial Investigators. Liraglutide and cardiovascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 311-322
- CANVAS Program Collaborative Group. Canagliflozin and cardiovascular and renal events in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 644-657
- DECLARE–TIMI 58 Investigators. Dapagliflozin and cardiovascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 347-357
- EMPA-REG OUTCOME Investigators. Empagliflozin, cardiovascular outcomes, and mortality in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2117-2128
- Translating scientific discoveries into public health action: how can schools of public health move us forward?.Public Health Rep. 2006; 121: 97-103
- From molecules to markets: broadening the focus of cardiovascular innovation.Circ Heart Fail. 2018; 11e004815
- Design of Healthy Hearts in the Heartland (H3): a practice-randomized, comparative effectiveness study.Contemp Clin Trials. 2018; 71: 47-54
- Effects of 2 forms of practice facilitation on cardiovascular prevention in primary care: a practice-randomized, comparative effectiveness trial.Med Care. 2020; 58: 344-351
- Enabling a learning health system through a unified enterprise data warehouse: the experience of the Northwestern University Clinical and Translational Sciences (NUCATS) Institute.Clin Transl Sci. 2015; 8: 269-271
- Performance of a computable phenotype for identification of patients with diabetes within PCORnet: the Patient-Centered Clinical Research Network.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2019; 28: 632-639
- Computable phenotype implementation for a national, multicenter pragmatic clinical trial: lessons learned From ADAPTABLE.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2020; 13e006292
- Design and outcomes of the Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute coronary heart disease cohort study.Contemp Clin Trials Commun. 2018; 10: 42-49
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Chronic Conditions Data Warehouse. Available at: https://www2.ccwdata.org/web/guest/home. Accessed on XXX.
- Decentralized and reproducible geocoding and characterization of community and environmental exposures for multisite studies.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2018; 25: 309-314
Center for Health Disparities Research, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. Neighborhood atlas: area deprivation index v3.1. Available at: https://www.neighborhoodatlas.medicine.wisc.edu/. Accessed on July 7 2021.
- Making neighborhood-disadvantage metrics accessible - the Neighborhood Atlas.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 2456-2458
- Validating laboratory defined chronic kidney disease in the electronic health record for patients in primary care.BMC Nephrol. 2019; 20: 3
- 10. Cardiovascular disease and risk management: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes-2021.Diabetes Care. 2021; 44: S125-S150
- Recent trends in cardiovascular mortality in the United States and public health goals.JAMA Cardiol. 2016; 1: 594-599
- Ethnic minorities and coronary heart disease: an update and future directions.Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2016; 18: 9
- Medication adherence interventions improve heart failure mortality and readmission rates: systematic review and meta-analysis of controlled trials.J Am Heart Assoc. 2016; 5e002606
- New medicines in primary care: a review of influences on general practitioner prescribing.J Clin Pharm Ther. 2008; 33: 1-10
- Factors affecting the uptake of new medicines: a systematic literature review.BMC Health Serv Res. 2014; 14: 469
- Recent approaches to improve medication adherence in patients with coronary heart disease: progress towards a learning healthcare system.Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2018; 20: 5
- PARADIGM-HF Investigators and Committees. Angiotensin-neprilysin inhibition versus enalapril in heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 993-1004
- Medical therapy for heart failure with reduced ejection fraction: the CHAMP-HF registry.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 72: 351-366
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, Health and Medicine Division, Board on Health Care Services, Committee on Ensuring Patient Access to Affordable Drug Therapies. Making medicines affordable: a national imperative. Washington: National Academies Press (US); 2017.
- Health insurance status, cost-related medication underuse, and outcomes among diabetes patients in three systems of care.Med Care. 2004; 42: 102-109
- Cost-related medication underuse among chronically ill adults: the treatments people forgo, how often, and who is at risk.Am J Public Health. 2004; 94: 1782-1787
- Carefully Selected and Easily Accessible at No Charge Medicines (CLEAN Meds) Study Team. Effect on treatment adherence of distributing essential medicines at no charge: the CLEAN Meds randomized clinical trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2019; 180: 27-34
- Cost-related medication nonadherence and spending on basic needs following implementation of Medicare Part D.JAMA. 2008; 299: 1922-1928
- Impact of medication adherence on hospitalization risk and healthcare cost.Med Care. 2005; 43: 521-530
- Effect of medication nonadherence on hospitalization and mortality among patients with diabetes mellitus.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 1836-1841
- Disparities in cardiovascular care: past, present, and solutions.Cleve Clin J Med. 2019; 86: 621-632
- Diabetes health disparities: a systematic review of health care interventions.Med Care Res Rev. 2007; 64: 101S-156S
- Effect of race on the presentation and management of patients with acute chest pain.Ann Intern Med. 1993; 118: 593-601
- Association of race/ethnicity, gender, and socioeconomic status with sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitor use among patients with diabetes in the US.JAMA Netw Open. 2021; 4e216139
- COVID-19 and African Americans.JAMA. 2020; 323: 1891-1892
- Achieving health equity: closing the gaps in health care disparities, interventions, and research.Health Aff (Millwood). 2016; 35: 1410-1415
Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on Understanding and Eliminating Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Unequal treatment: confronting racial and ethnic disparities in health care. Washington: National Academies Press (US); 2003.
Dr. Ahmad was supported by grants K12HS026385 from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, Maryland, K23HL155970 from the National Institutes of Health/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, Bethesda, Maryland, and1 856917 from the American Heart Association, Dallas, Texas,. Dr. Linder is supported by grant P30AG059988 from the National Institute on Aging, Bethesda, Maryland. This study was in part funded by grant 1R18HS023921 from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, Maryland.