Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
United States Department of Agriculture, United States Department of Health and Human Services. Dietary guidelines for Americans. Available at:https://www.dietaryguidelines.gov/sites/default/files/2020-12/Dietary_Guidelines_for_Americans_2020-2025.pdf. Accessed on Dec 2021.
- Alcohol use disorders and the heart.Addiction. 2019; 114: 1670-1678
- Alcohol consumption and cardiovascular mortality among U.S. Adults, 1987–2002.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 55: 1328-1335
- Association of alcohol consumption with selected cardiovascular disease outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2011; 342: d671
- Higher usual alcohol consumption was associated with a lower 41-y mortality risk from coronary artery disease in men independent of genetic and common environmental factors: the prospective NHLBI Twin Study.Am J Clin Nutr. 2015; 102: 31-39
- Alcohol use and burden for 195 countries and territories, 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.Lancet. 2018; 392: 1015-1035
- The genetics of alcohol metabolism: role of alcohol dehydrogenase and aldehyde dehydrogenase variants.Alcohol Res Health. 2007; 30: 5-13
- China Kadoorie Biobank Collaborative Group. Conventional and genetic evidence on alcohol and vascular disease aetiology: a prospective study of 500 000 men and women in China.Lancet. 2019; 393: 1831-1842
World Heart Federation. The impact of alcohol consumption on cardiovascular health: myths and measures. Available at:https://world-heart-federation.org/wp-content/uploads/WHF-Policy-Brief-Alcohol.pdf. Accessed on Jan 24 2022.
- Alcohol and cardiovascular disease in the geriatric population.Clin Cardiol. 2017; 4: 444-449
- Alcohol consumption, binge drinking, and early coronary calcification: findings from the Coronary artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) Study.Am J Epidemiol. 2005; 161: 423-433
- Alcohol and cardiovascular health: the razor-sharp double-edged sword.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007; 50: 1009-1014
- Relation between heavy and binge drinking and all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in Novosibirsk, Russia: a prospective cohort study.Lancet. 2002; 360: 1448-1454
- Tobacco and alcohol on television: A content analysis of male adolescents’ favorite shows.Prev Chronic Dis. 2018; 15: E134
- Key Substance Use and Mental Health Indicators in the United States: Results from the 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health. 2015; 74https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/NSDUH-FFR1-2015/NSDUH-FFR1-2015/NSDUH-FFR1-2015.pdfDate accessed: May 15, 2019
- Frequency of hazardous and binge drinking alcohol Among hospitalized cardiovascular patients.Am J Cardiol. 2021; 153: 119-124
- The Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT): validation of a screening instrument for use in medical settings.J Stud Alcohol. 1995; 56: 423-432
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA). Drinking levels defined. Available at:https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/moderate-binge-drinking. Accessed on August 27, 2020.
- Perceptions, information sources, and behavior Regarding alcohol and heart health.Am J Cardiol. 2015; 116: 642-646
MEDICC. Alcohol control in Cuba: preventing countervailing cultural and mass media influences. Available at:https://mediccreview.org/alcohol-control-in-cuba-preventing-countervailing-cultural-and-mass-media-influences/. Accessed on September 15, 2021.
- Influence of placement on explicit and implicit memory of college students.Comun Rev Cient Comun Educ. 2015; 22: 169-176
- The association Between social media use and hazardous alcohol use Among youths: a four-country study.Alcohol Alcohol. 2020; 55: 86-95
- Influence of social media on alcohol use in adolescents and Young adults.Alcohol Res. 2014; 36: 91-100
- The cognitive and behavioural impact of alcohol promoting and alcohol warning advertisements: an experimental study.Alcohol Alcohol. 2016; 51: 354-362
- Perceptions of alcohol advertising among high risk drinkers.Subst Use Misuse. 2018; 53: 1403-1410
World Health Organization. Global strategy to reduce the harmful use of alcohol. Available at: https://www.who.int/publications-detail-redirect/9789241599931. Accessed on May 2019.
- Alcohol consumption during the COVID-19 pandemic: a cross-sectional survey of US adults.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020; 17: 9189
- Alcohol consumption in response to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States.J Addict Med. 2021; 15: 341-344
- Media portrayal of alcohol does not match its real harm effects in the Czech Republic.Cent Eur J Public Health. 2019; 27: S66-S73
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Dr. Pack is supported by a grant from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute of the National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, under award number 1K23HL135440, and by the Research Pilot Award Program from Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, Massachusetts. Manuscript received February 14, 2022; revised manuscript received and accepted June 6, 2022.