Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Sudden Cardiac Death in Heart Failure Trial (SCD-HeFT) Investigators. Amiodarone or an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator for congestive heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 225-237
- A randomized study of the prevention of sudden death in patients with coronary artery disease. Multicenter unsustained tachycardia Trial Investigators.N Engl J Med. 1999; 341: 1882-1890
- Defibrillators in Nonischemic Cardiomyopathy Treatment Evaluation (DEFINITE) Investigators. Prophylactic defibrillator implantation in patients with nonischemic dilated cardiomyopathy.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 2151-2158
- Improved survival with an implanted defibrillator in patients with coronary disease at high risk for ventricular arrhythmia. Multicenter Automatic Defibrillator Implantation Trial Investigators.N Engl J Med. 1996; 335: 1933-1940
- MADIT-CRT Trial Investigators. Cardiac-resynchronization therapy for the prevention of heart-failure events.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 1329-1338
- Multicenter Automatic Defibrillator Implantation Trial II Investigators. Prophylactic implantation of a defibrillator in patients with myocardial infarction and reduced ejection fraction.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 877-883
- Gender differences in appropriate shocks and mortality among patients with primary prophylactic implantable cardioverter-defibrillators: systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS ONE. 2016; 11e0162756
- Sex differences in implantable cardioverter-defibrillator outcomes: findings from a prospective defibrillator database.Ann Intern Med. 2012; 156: 195-203
- Sex differences in electrophysiology, ventricular tachyarrhythmia, cardiac arrest and sudden cardiac death following acute myocardial infarction.Heart Lung Circ. 2020; 29: 1025-1031
Zareba W. Risk Stratification in MADIT II Type Patients; 2011.
- MADIT-RIT Trial Investigators. Reduction in inappropriate therapy and mortality through ICD programming.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 2275-2283
- DEFINITE Investigators. Sex differences in outcome after implantable cardioverter defibrillator implantation in nonischemic cardiomyopathy.Am Heart J. 2008; 156: 367-372
- Primary prevention with defibrillator therapy in women: results from the sudden cardiac death in Heart Failure Trial.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2008; 19: 720-724
- Gender-specific differences in clinical outcome of primary prevention implantable cardioverter defibrillator recipients.Heart. 2013; 99: 1244-1249
- Gender differences in clinical outcome and primary prevention defibrillator benefit in patients with severe left ventricular dysfunction: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Heart Rhythm. 2010; 7: 876-882
- Cardiac MRI scar patterns differ by sex in an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator and cardiac resynchronization therapy cohort.Heart Rhythm. 2013; 10: 659-665
- Sex-dependent alterations of Ca2+ cycling in human cardiac hypertrophy and heart failure.Europace. 2016; 18: 1440-1448
- Androgen contributes to gender-related cardiac hypertrophy and fibrosis in mice lacking the gene encoding guanylyl cyclase-A.Endocrinology. 2004; 145: 951-958
- Non-sustained ventricular tachycardia as a predictor of sudden cardiac death in patients with left ventricular dysfunction: a meta-analysis.Eur J Heart Fail. 2008; 10: 1007-1014
- Predictors of appropriate implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) therapy in primary prevention patients with ischemic and nonischemic cardiomyopathy.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2010; 33: 320-329
- Prognostic significance of atrial fibrillation in advanced heart failure. A study of 390 patients.Circulation. 1991; 84: 40-48
- Racial differences in sudden cardiac death.J Electrocardiol. 2014; 47: 815-818
Zhao D, Post WS, Blasco-Colmenares E, Cheng A, Zhang Y, DEO, Deo R, Pastor-Barriuso R, Michos ED, Sotoodehnia N, Guallar E. Racial differences in sudden cardiac death. Circulation Sotoodehnia N, Guallar E, ed. 2019;139:1688–1697.
- Spectrum and prevalence of cardiac sodium channel variants among Black, White, Asian, and Hispanic individuals: implications for arrhythmogenic susceptibility and Brugada/long QT syndrome genetic testing.Heart Rhythm. 2004; 1: 600-607
- Ethnic differences in cardiac potassium channel variants: implications for genetic susceptibility to sudden cardiac death and genetic testing for congenital long QT syndrome.Mayo Clin Proc. 2003; 78: 1479-1487
Akylbekova EL, Payne JP, Newton-Cheh C, May WL, Fox ER, Wilson JG, Sarpong DF, Taylor HA, Maher JF. Gene-environment interaction between SCN5A-1103Y and hypokalemia influences QT interval prolongation in African Americans: the Jackson Heart Study. Am Heart J2014;167:116–122.e1.
- Role of SCN5A Y1102 polymorphism in sudden cardiac death in blacks.Circulation. 2005; 112: 798-802
- Gender differences of revascularization in patients with acute myocardial infarction.Am J Cardiol. 2006; 97: 1722-1726
- Temporal trends and sex differences in revascularization and outcomes of ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction in younger adults in the United States.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015; 66: 1961-1972
The project described in this publication was supported by the University of Rochester CTSA award No. TL1 TR002000 from the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences of the National Institutes of Health. MADIT-RISK study was supported by NIH grant HL077478. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health. All MADIT studies were supported by a research grant from Boston Scientific to the University of Rochester.