- •There is currently no established variable to quantify hyperglycemia over long periods of time.
- •In type 2 diabetes, hemoglobin A1c levels and duration of disease are two of the strongest predictors of poor cardiovascular outcomes including myocardial infarction and all-cause mortality.
- •A diabetes burden score accounting for time prior to diabetes diagnosis, age at diagnosis, and aggregate HbA1c levels thereafter can have clinical utility for cardiovascular disease risk stratification.
- •A higher diabetes burden score was associated with significantly worse major adverse cardiovascular events as well as other poor outcomes including myocardial infarction and all-cause hospitalization giving evidence to the clinical utility of a measure of chronic hyperglycemia.
- •A validated diabetes burden score can be used to risk stratify patients for cardiovascular disease in both clinical and research settings.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cardiovascular disease in diabetes mellitus: risk factors and medical therapy.Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2014; 43: 25-40
- Diabetes and cardiovascular disease: epidemiology, biological mechanisms, treatment recommendations and future research.World J Diabetes. 2015; 6: 1246-1258
- Risk stratification by endocrinologists of patients with type 2 diabetes in a Danish specialised outpatient clinic: a cross-sectional study.BMC Health Serv Res. 2016; 16: 124
- Effect of glycemic control on the Diabetes Complications Severity Index score and development of complications in people with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes.J Diabetes. 2018; 10: 192-199
- Risk factors, mortality, and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 633-644
- A prospective study of maturity-onset diabetes mellitus and risk of coronary heart disease and stroke in women.Arch Intern Med. 1991; 151: 1141-1147
- Cardiovascular protection in the treatment of type 2 diabetes: a review of clinical trial results across drug classes.Am J Cardiol. 2017; 120: S17-S27
- Cardiovascular outcomes trials in type 2 diabetes: where do we go from here? Reflections from a diabetes care editors' expert forum.Diabetes Care. 2018; 41: 14-31
- Predicting 6-year mortality risk in patients with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 2301-2306
- Early onset type 2 diabetes mellitus: a harbinger for complications in later years–clinical observation from a secondary care cohort.QJM. 2009; 102: 799-806
- Impact of diabetes duration and cardiovascular risk factors on mortality in type 2 diabetes: the Hoorn Study.Eur J Clin Invest. 2002; 32: 924-930
- Impact of diabetes on cardiovascular disease risk and all-cause mortality in older men: influence of age at onset, diabetes duration, and established and novel risk factors.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 404-410
- The UKPDS risk engine: a model for the risk of coronary heart disease in Type II diabetes (UKPDS 56).Clin Sci (Lond). 2001; 101: 671-679
- Importance of total life consumption of cigarettes as a risk factor for coronary artery disease.Am J Cardiol. 1985; 55: 669-672
- Cigarette smoking and progression of atherosclerosis: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study.JAMA. 1998; 279: 119-124
- Translating the A1C assay into estimated average glucose values.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 1473-1478
- Effects of intensive glucose lowering in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 2545-2559
- Intensive blood-glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 33). UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group.Lancet. 1998; 352: 837-853
- Glucose control and vascular complications in veterans with type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 129-139
- 10-year follow-up of intensive glucose control in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 1577-1589
- Follow-up of glycemic control and cardiovascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 978
- Nine-year effects of 3.7 years of intensive glycemic control on cardiovascular outcomes.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: 701-708
- The legacy effect in type 2 diabetes: impact of early glycemic control on future complications (The Diabetes & Aging Study).Diabetes Care. 2019; 42: 416-426
- 2011 ACCF/AHA guideline for coronary artery bypass graft surgery. A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Developed in collaboration with the American Association for Thoracic Surgery, Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists, and Society of Thoracic Surgeons.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011; 58: e123-e210
- Trial of everolimus-eluting stents or bypass surgery for coronary disease.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 1204-1212