Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Prognostic importance of elevated jugular venous pressure and a third heart sound in patients with heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 574-581
- Congestion in chronic systolic heart failure is related to renal dysfunction and increased mortality.Eur J Heart F. 2010; 12: 974-982
- Role of volume redistribution in the congestion of heart failure.J Am Heart Assoc. 2017; 6
- Sympathetically mediated changes in capacitance: redistribution of the venous reservoir as a cause of decompensation.Circulation Heart failure. 2011; 4: 669-675
- Effects of serelaxin on the outcome of patients with or without substantial peripheral edema: a subgroup analysis from the RELAX-AHF trial.Am Heart J. 2017; 190: 113-122
- Rationale and design of the Acute Study of Clinical Effectiveness of Nesiritide in Decompensated Heart Failure Trial (ASCEND-HF).Am Heart J. 2009; 157 (271-217)
- Effect of nesiritide in patients with acute decompensated heart failure.N Eng J Med. 2011; 365: 32-43
- The clinical course of health status and association with outcomes in patients hospitalized for heart failure: insights from ASCEND-HF.Eur J Heart Fail. 2016; 18: 306-313
- Aetiology, timing and clinical predictors of early vs. late readmission following index hospitalization for acute heart failure: insights from ASCEND-HF.Eur J Heart Fail. 2017;
- Does this dyspneic patient in the emergency department have congestive heart failure.JAMA. 2005; 294: 1944-1956
- Importance of venous congestion for worsening of renal function in advanced decompensated heart failure.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009; 53: 589-596
- Predictors of postdischarge outcomes from information acquired shortly after admission for acute heart failure: a report from the Placebo-Controlled Randomized Study of the Selective A1 Adenosine Receptor Antagonist Rolofylline for Patients Hospitalized With Acute Decompensated Heart Failure and Volume Overload to Assess Treatment Effect on Congestion and Renal Function (PROTECT) Study.Circ Heart Fail. 2014; 7: 76-87
Yoshihisa A, Abe S, Sato Y, Watanabe S, Yokokawa T, Miura S, Misaka T, Sato T, Suzuki S, Oikawa M, Kobayashi A, Yamaki T, Kunii H, Saitoh SI and Takeishi Y. Plasma volume status predicts prognosis in patients with acute heart failure syndromes. Eur Heart J Acute Cardiovasc Care. 2017:2048872617690889.
- Change in plasma volume and prognosis in acute decompensated heart failure: an observational cohort study.J R Soc Med. 2016; 109: 337-346
- Relation of unrecognized hypervolemia in chronic heart failure to clinical status, hemodynamics, and patient outcomes.Am J Cardiol. 2004; 93: 1254-1259
- Patterns of weight change preceding hospitalization for heart failure.Circulation. 2007; 116: 1549-1554
- Clinical deterioration in established heart failure: what is the value of BNP and weight gain in aiding diagnosis.Eur J Heart Fail. 2005; 7: 953-957
- Body weight change during and after hospitalization for acute heart failure: patient characteristics, markers of congestion, and outcomes: findings from the ASCEND-HF Trial.JACC Heart Fail. 2017; 5: 1-13
- Transition from chronic compensated to acute decompensated heart failure: pathophysiological insights obtained from continuous monitoring of intracardiac pressures.Circulation. 2008; 118: 1433-1441
- Pathophysiology of the transition from chronic compensated and acute decompensated heart failure: new insights from continuous monitoring devices.Curr Heart Fail Rep. 2009; 6: 287-292
- Fluid volume overload and congestion in heart failure: time to reconsider pathophysiology and how volume is assessed.Circulation Heart failure. 2016; 9e002922
- Splanchnic Nerve Block for Acute Heart Failure.Circulation. 2018;
- Raising the pressure: hemodynamic effects of splanchnic nerve stimulation.J Appl Physiol (1985). 2017; 123: 126-127
- Causes and treatment of oedema in patients with heart failure.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2013; 10: 156-170
- Pathophysiologic targets in the early phase of acute heart failure syndromes.Am J Cardiol. 2005; 96: 11G-17G
- Prevalence of, associations with, and prognostic value of tricuspid annular plane systolic excursion (TAPSE) among out-patients referred for the evaluation of heart failure.J Card Fail. 2012; 18: 216-225
- The pathophysiology of acute heart failure–is it all about fluid accumulation.Am Heart J. 2008; 155: 9-18
- Fluid overload in acute heart failure–re-distribution and other mechanisms beyond fluid accumulation.Eur J Heart Fail. 2008; 10: 165-169
- Clinical course and predictive value of congestion during hospitalization in patients admitted for worsening signs and symptoms of heart failure with reduced ejection fraction: findings from the EVEREST trial.Eur Heart J. 2013; 34: 835-843
- The limited reliability of physical signs for estimating hemodynamics in chronic heart failure.JAMA. 1989; 261: 884-888
- Clinical, radiographic, and hemodynamic correlations in chronic congestive heart failure: conflicting results may lead to inappropriate care.Am J Med. 1991; 90: 353-359
- Association of weight change with subsequent outcomes in patients hospitalized with acute decompensated heart failure.Am Journal Cardiol. 2009; 103: 76-81
- Blood volume and brain natriuretic peptide in congestive heart failure: a pilot study.Am Heart J. 2005; 150: 984
- Reliability of clinical monitoring to assess blood volume in critically ill patients.Crit Care Med. 1984; 12: 107-112
- Does central venous pressure or pulmonary capillary wedge pressure reflect the status of circulating blood volume in patients after extended transthoracic esophagectomy.J Anesth. 2005; 19: 21-25
See page 1511 for disclosure information.
Funding: Scios Inc., now Johnson & Johnson, provided financial and material support for the ASCEND-HF trial. MF: Axon Therapies, Coridea, Cibiem. GE Healthcare, Supported by AHA Grant 17MCPRP33460225 and the NHLBI T32 postdoctoral training grant 5T32HL007101-42. RJM: Amgen, AstraZeneca, Bristol Myers Squibb, Gilead, GlaxoSmithKline, Novartis, Otsuka, ResMed, Thoratec. JAE: Abbott Labs, Amgen, Johnson&Johnson, Pfizer, Servier. AAV: Amgen, Bayer, Boehringer Ingelheim, Merck, Novartis, Servier. CMO: Amgen, Astellas, GE Healthcare, Gilead, Novella, Otsuka, Roche Diagnostics, Resmed. AFH: Sanofi, Johnson & Johnson, AstraZeneca, Corthera.