Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Cardiology
Benjamin EJ, Blaha MJ, Chiuve SE, Cushman M, Das SR, Deo R, Ferranti SD De, Floyd J, Fornage M, Gillespie C, Isasi CR, Jim'nez MC, Jordan LC, Judd SE, Lackland D, Lichtman JH, Lisabeth L, Liu S, Longenecker CT, MacKey RH, Matsushita K, Mozaffarian D, Mussolino ME, Nasir K, Neumar RW, Palaniappan L, Pandey DK, Thiagarajan RR, Reeves MJ, Ritchey M, Rodriguez CJ, Roth GA, Rosamond WD, Sasson C, Towfghi A, Tsao CW, Turner MB, Virani SS, Voeks JH, Willey JZ, Wilkins JT, Wu JHY, Alger HM, Wong SS, Muntner P. Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics’2017 Update: A Report from the American Heart Association. 2017.
- Menopause and the risk of coronary heart disease in women.N Engl J Med. 1987; 316: 1105-1110
- Age at natural menopause and cause-specific mortality.Am J Epidemiol. 2005; 162: 1089-1097
- Risk of cardiovascular disease by hysterectomy status, with and without oophorectomy: the women's health initiative observational study.Circulation. 2005; 111: 1462-1470
- Postmenopausal status and early menopause as independent risk factors for cardiovascular disease: a meta-analysis.Menopause. 2006; 13: 265-279
- SWAN: a multicenter, multiethnic, community-based cohort study of women and the menopausal transition.Menopause. 2000; (ISBN 0124537901, 9780124537903): 175-188
- Associations of endogenous sex hormones with the vasculature in menopausal women: the Study of Women's Health Across the Nation (SWAN).Menopause. 2008; 15: 414-421
- Progression rates of carotid intima-media thickness and adventitial diameter during the menopausal transition.Menopause. 2013; 20: 8-14
- Postmenopausal women with greater paracardial fat have more coronary artery calcification than premenopausal women: the Study of Women's Health Across the Nation (SWAN) cardiovascular fat ancillary study.J Am Heart Assoc. 2017; 6: e004545
- Measurement variation of aortic pulse wave velocity in the elderly.Am J Hypertens. 2001; 14: 463-468
- African-American ethnicity and cardiovascular risk factors are related to aortic pulse-wave velocity progression.Am J Hypertens. 2011; 24: 809-815
- Progression of coronary artery calcification in black and white women: do the stresses and rewards of multiple roles matter?.Ann Behav Med. 2011; 43: 39-49
- Inflammatory/hemostatic biomarkers and coronary artery calcification in midlife women of African-American and white race/ethnicity: the Study of Women's Health Across the Nation (SWAN) heart study.Menopause. 2016; 23: 653-661
- Prognostic value of aortic pulse wave velocity as index of arterial stiffness in the general population.Circulation. 2006; 113: 664-670
- Pulse wave velocity ratio: the new “gold standard” for measuring arterial stiffness.Hypertension. 2015; 65: 289-290
- Pulse wave velocity in postmenopausal women.Pulse (Basel, Switzerland). 2013; 1: 4-13
- The menopausal transition does not appear to accelerate age-related increases in arterial stiffness.Climacteric. 2013; 16: 62-69
- Menopause is an independent factor augmenting the age-related increase in arterial stiffness in the early postmenopausal phase.Atherosclerosis. 2006; 184: 137-142
- Coronary artery calcification identified by CT in patients over forty years of age.Australas Radiol. 1989; 33: 79-83
- Incidental cardiac findings on computed tomography imaging of the thorax.BMC Res Notes. 2010; 3: 326
Bild DE, Folsom AR, Lowe LP, Sidney S, Kiefe C, Westfall AO, Zheng Z, Rumberger J. Prevalence and Correlates of Coronary Calcification in Black and White Young Adults. 2001.
- Distribution of coronary artery calcium by race, gender, and age: results from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA).Circulation. 2006; 113: 30-37
- Noncalcified coronary plaque volumes in healthy people with a family history of early onset coronary artery disease.Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2014; 7: 446-453
- Coronary plaque burden at coronary CT angiography in asymptomatic men and women.Radiology. 2015; 277: 73-80
- The relationship of menopausal status and rapid menopausal transition with carotid intima-media thickness progression in women: a report from the Los Angeles atherosclerosis study.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010; 95: 4432-4440
- Coronary artery calcification compared with carotid intima-media thickness in the prediction of cardiovascular disease incidence: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA).Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168: 1333-1339
- Comparison of coronary artery calcium presence, carotid plaque presence, and carotid intima-media thickness for cardiovascular disease prediction in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis.Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2015; 8e002262
- Influence of menopause on serum lipids and lipoproteins.Maturitas. 1990; 12: 321-331
- Are changes in cardiovascular disease risk factors in midlife women due to chronological aging or to the menopausal transition.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009; 54: 2366-2373
Sources of Funding: The Study of Women's Health Across the Nation (SWAN) has grant support from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), DHHS, through the National Institute on Aging (NIA), the National Institute of Nursing Research (NINR), and the NIH Office of Research on Women's Health (ORWH) (grants NR004061; AG012505, AG012535, AG012531, AG012539, AG012546, AG012553, AG012554, and AG012495). The content of this report is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the NIA, NINR, ORWH, or the NIH. SWAN Heart was supported by grants from the NHLBI (HL065581, HL065591, and HL089862). The Chicago site of the SWAN Heart study was also supported by the Charles J. and Margaret Roberts Trust.