Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Surrogate endpoints in clinical trials: definition and operational criteria.Stat Med. 1989; 8: 431-440
- Surrogate end points in clinical trials: are we being misled?.Ann Intern Med. 1996; 125: 605-613
- Surrogate outcomes in clinical trials: a cautionary tale.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 611-612
- Surrogate endpoints and FDA's accelerated approval process.Health Aff (Millwood). 2005; 24: 67-78
- Cardiovascular drug development: is it dead or just hibernating?.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015; 65: 1567-1582
- Inconsistent reporting of surrogate outcomes in randomised clinical trials: cohort study.BMJ. 2010; 341: c3653
- Users' guides to the medical literature: XIX. Applying clinical trial results. A. How to use an article measuring the effect of an intervention on surrogate end points. Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group.JAMA. 1999; 282: 771-778
- Clinical trial evidence supporting FDA approval of novel therapeutic agents, 2005-2012.JAMA. 2014; 311: 368-377
- Mortality and morbidity in patients receiving encainide, flecainide, or placebo. The Cardiac Arrhythmia Suppression Trial.N Engl J Med. 1991; 324: 781-788
- Effects of torcetrapib in patients at high risk for coronary events.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 2109-2122
- Niacin in patients with low HDL cholesterol levels receiving intensive statin therapy.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 2255-2267
- The perils of surrogate endpoints.Eur Heart J. 2015; 36: 2212-2218
- Criteria for the validation of surrogate endpoints in randomized experiments.Biometrics. 1998; 54: 1014-1029
- The validation of surrogate endpoints in meta-analyses of randomized experiments.Biostatistics. 2000; 1: 49-67
- Angiographic surrogate end points in drug-eluting stent trials: a systematic evaluation based on individual patient data from 11 randomized, controlled trials.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008; 51: 23-32
- Idarucizumab for dabigatran reversal.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 511-520
- The accelerated approval of oncologic drugs: lessons from ponatinib.JAMA. 2014; 311: 353-354
- Cancer drugs approved on the basis of a surrogate end point and subsequent overall survival: an analysis of 5 Years of US Food and Drug Administration Approvals.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 1992-1994
- The disconnect between phase II and phase III trials of drugs for heart failure.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2013; 10: 85-97
- Hop, skip, and jump: do we need phase II cardiovascular clinical trials?.JACC Heart Fail. 2015; 3: 273-274
- Drug and device effects on peak oxygen consumption, 6-minute walk distance, and natriuretic peptides as predictors of therapeutic effects on mortality in patients with heart failure and reduced ejection fraction.Circ Heart Fail. 2011; 4: 578-588
- Quantitative evaluation of drug or device effects on ventricular remodeling as predictors of therapeutic effects on mortality in patients with heart failure and reduced ejection fraction: a meta-analytic approach.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 56: 392-406
Drs. Patel and Vaduganathan contributed equally to this manuscript.
The authors had full access to the data, take responsibility for its integrity, and had complete control and authority over manuscript preparation and the decision to publish.
See page 1850 for disclosure information.