- •A Mediterranean-style diet was inversely associated with left ventricular (LV) mass.
- •The association between a Mediterranean-style diet and LV mass may be partly mediated by obesity.
- •Consumption of cereals and grains and moderate alcohol use were associated with reduced LV mass.
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Prognostic implications of left ventricular mass among Hispanics: the Northern Manhattan Study.Hypertension. 2006; 48: 87-92
- Mediterranean-style diet and risk of ischemic stroke, myocardial infarction, and vascular death: the Northern Manhattan Study.Am J Clin Nutr. 2011; 94: 1458-1464
- Homocysteine and the risk of ischemic stroke in a triethnic cohort: the NOrthern MAnhattan Study.Stroke. 2004; 35: 2263-2269
- Race and ethnic standards for Federal statistics and administrative reporting.Stat Report. 1977; : 450-454
- The protective effect of moderate alcohol consumption on ischemic stroke.JAMA. 1999; 281: 53-60
- Physical activity and risk of ischemic stroke in the Northern Manhattan Study.Neurology. 2009; 73: 1774-1779
- A data-based approach to diet questionnaire design and testing.Am J Epidemiol. 1986; 124: 453-469
- Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and survival in a Greek population.N Engl J Med. 2003; 348: 2599-2608
- Mediterranean diet and risk for Alzheimer's disease.Ann Neurol. 2006; 59: 912-921
- The Mediterranean diet contributes to the preservation of left ventricular systolic function and to the long-term favorable prognosis of patients who have had an acute coronary event.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 92: 47-54
- Dietary pattern, the metabolic syndrome, and left ventricular mass and systolic function: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 90: 362-368
- Effects of the DASH diet alone and in combination with exercise and weight loss on blood pressure and cardiovascular biomarkers in men and women with high blood pressure: the ENCORE study.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 126-135
- Diet-quality scores and plasma concentrations of markers of inflammation and endothelial dysfunction.Am J Clin Nutr. 2005; 82: 163-173
- Adherence to the Mediterranean diet is inversely associated with circulating interleukin-6 among middle-aged men: a twin study.Circulation. 2008; 117: 169-175
- Effect of the Mediterranean diet with and without weight loss on markers of inflammation in men with metabolic syndrome.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013; 21: 51-57
- Soluble tumor necrosis factor receptor 1 level is associated with left ventricular hypertrophy: the northern Manhattan study.Am J Hypertens. 2009; 22: 763-769
- Dose dependent but non-linear effects of alcohol on the left and right ventricle.Heart. 2001; 86: 417-423
- Relation of alcohol intake to left ventricular mass: the Framingham Study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1991; 17: 717-721
- Alcohol consumption and ambulatory blood pressure: a community-based study in an elderly cohort.Am J Hypertens. 2014; 27: 688-694
This work is supported by Grants R37 NS 29993 and R01 NS36286 from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Bethesda, MD .
See page 514 for disclosure information.