- •Approximately 10% of participants in the Justification for the Use of Statins in Prevention: An Intervention Trial Evaluating Rosuvastatin achieved low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) <30 mg/dl on rosuvastatin.
- •The rate of adverse events in those with LDL-C <30 mg/dl on a statin was low.
- •However, there was a modest increase in diabetes and hematuria in patients with LDL-C <30 mg/dl.
- •No increased risk of diabetes or hematuria was seen for patients with large (≥70) percent reductions in LDL-C.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Rosuvastatin to prevent vascular events in men and women with elevated C-reactive protein.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 2195-2207
- Cardiovascular benefits and diabetes risks of statin therapy in primary prevention: an analysis from the JUPITER trial.Lancet. 2012; 380: 565-571
- 2013 ACC/AHA guideline on the treatment of blood cholesterol to reduce atherosclerotic cardiovascular risk in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines.Circulation. 2014; 129: S1-S45
- European Guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice (version 2012). The Fifth Joint Task Force of the European Society of Cardiology and Other Societies on Cardiovascular Disease Prevention in Clinical Practice (constituted by representatives of nine societies and by invited experts).Eur Heart J. 2012; 33: 1635-1701
United States Food and Drug Administration. FDA drug safety communication: important safety label changes to cholesterol-lowering statin drugs. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm293101.htm. Accessed on August 13, 2014.
- Statins and risk of incident diabetes: a collaborative meta-analysis of randomised statin trials.Lancet. 2010; 375: 735-742
- Risk of incident diabetes with intensive-dose compared with moderate-dose statin therapy: a meta-analysis.JAMA. 2011; 305: 2556-2564
- Lipoprotein particle size and concentration by nuclear magnetic resonance and incident type 2 diabetes in women.Diabetes. 2010; 59: 1153-1160
- Differential response of cholesterol and particle measures of atherogenic lipoproteins to LDL-lowering therapy: implications for clinical practice.J Clin Lipidol. 2008; 2: 36-42
- Longitudinal assessment of estimated glomerular filtration rate in apparently healthy adults: a post hoc analysis from the JUPITER study (Justification for the Use of Statins in Prevention: An Intervention Trial Evaluating Rosuvastatin).Clin Ther. 2011; 33: 717-725
- Effect of intensive lipid lowering with atorvastatin on renal function in patients with coronary heart disease: the Treating to New Targets (TNT) study.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007; 2: 1131-1139
- Effect of pravastatin on rate of kidney function loss in people with or at risk for coronary disease.Circulation. 2005; 112: 171-178
- Meta-analysis: the effect of statins on albuminuria.Ann Intern Med. 2006; 145: 117-124
See page 1688 for disclosure information.