- •This study was a detailed cost analysis of pooled data from randomized controlled trials of PFO closure for patients with cryptogenic stroke.
- •PFO closure was found to be immediately more costly per patient (incremental increased cost by PFO closure $16,213).
- •PFO closure reached cost-effectiveness (<$50,000/QALY gained) at 2.6 years of follow-up.
- •At 30.2 years, the per patient mean cost of medical therapy exceeded that of PFO closure.
- •In younger patients typical of cryptogenic stroke, cost modeling supports the cost-effectiveness of PFO closure in the long term.
- Prevalence of patent foramen ovale in patients with stroke.N Engl J Med. 1988; 318: 1148-1152
- Recurrent cerebrovascular events associated with patent foramen ovale, atrial septal aneurysm, or both.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 1740-1746
- Patent foramen ovale in young stroke patients.Lancet. 1988; 2: 11-12
- Effect of medical treatment in stroke patients with patent foramen ovale: patent foramen ovale in cryptogenic stroke study.Circulation. 2002; 105: 2625-2631
- Antithrombotic and thrombolytic therapy for valvular disease: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.Chest. 2012; 141: e576S
- Closure or medical therapy for cryptogenic stroke with patent foramen ovale.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 991-999
- Closure of patent foramen ovale versus medical therapy after cryptogenic stroke.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 1092-1100
- Percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale in cryptogenic embolism.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 1083-1091
- Percutaneous closure versus medical therapy alone for cryptogenic stroke patients with a patent foramen ovale: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Tex Heart Inst J. 2014; 41: 357-367
- A meta-analysis of transcatheter closure of patent foramen ovale versus medical therapy for prevention of recurrent thromboembolic events in patients with cryptogenic cerebrovascular events.Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2013; 82: 968-975
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Welcome to H·CUPnet. Available at: http://hcupnet.ahrq.gov Accessed on November 05, 2013.
- Cost-effectiveness of targeting patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention for therapy with bivalirudin versus heparin monotherapy according to predicted risk of bleeding.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2010; 3: 358-365
- European Stroke Prevention Study. 2. Dipyridamole and acetylsalicylic acid in the secondary prevention of stroke.J Neurol Sci. 1996; 143: 1-13
- Association of aspirin use with major bleeding in patients with and without diabetes.JAMA. 2012; 307: 2286-2294
- Aspirin and clopidogrel compared with clopidogrel alone after recent ischaemic stroke or transient ischaemic attack in high-risk patients (MATCH): randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2004; 364: 331-337
- Implications of the CHA(2)DS(2)-VASc and HAS-BLED Scores for thromboprophylaxis in atrial fibrillation.Am J Med. 2011; 124: 111-114
- Effect of clopidogrel plus ASA vs. ASA early after TIA and ischaemic stroke: a substudy of the CHARISMA trial.Int J Stroke. 2011; 6: 3-9
Social Security Administration. Periodic life table, 2010. Available at: http://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html Accessed on November 05, 2013.
- A meta-analysis of quality-of-life estimates for stroke.Pharmacoeconomics. 2003; 21: 191-200
- Are pharmaceuticals cost-effective? A review of the evidence.Health Aff (Millwood). 2000; 19: 92-109
- New onset atrial fibrillation after patent foramen ovale closure.Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2009; 74: 889-895
- Incidence and clinical course of thrombus formation on atrial septal defect and patient foramen ovale closure devices in 1,000 consecutive patients.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004; 43: 302-309
- Heart disease and stroke Statistics—2013 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2013; 127: e6-e245
- Infarcts of undetermined cause: the NINCDS Stroke Data Bank.Ann Neurol. 1989; 25: 382-390
- Age at stroke: temporal trends in stroke incidence in a large, biracial population.Neurology. 2012; 79: 1781-1787
- Long-term experience and outcomes with transcatheter closure of patent foramen ovale.JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2013; 6: 1176-1183
- PFO closure complications from the AGA registry.Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2008; 72: 74-79
- Embolization of patent foramen ovale closure devices: incidence, role of imaging in identification, potential causes, and management.Tex Heart Inst J. 2013; 40: 439-444
- Long-term survival and vascular event risk after transient ischaemic attack or minor ischaemic stroke: a cohort study.Lancet. 2005; 365: 2098-2104
- Long-term survival after first-ever stroke: the Oxfordshire Community Stroke Project.Stroke. 1993; 24: 796-800
The views expressed represent those of the authors alone and should not be construed as representing the Department of Defense or the U.S. government.
See page 1588 for disclosure information.