Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Trends in aging—United States and worldwide.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2003; 52 (106): 101-104
- Heart disease and stroke statistics—2011 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2011; 123: e18-e209
- Protected carotid-artery stenting versus endarterectomy in high-risk patients.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 1493-1501
- Stenting versus endarterectomy for treatment of carotid-artery stenosis.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 11-23
- Geographic variation in carotid revascularization among Medicare beneficiaries, 2003-2006.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 1218-1225
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.HCUP databases, Rockville, MD2008 (Available at:)Accessed on 31 January 2013)
- Coronary revascularization trends in the United States, 2001-2008.JAMA. 2011; 305: 1769-1776
- A national profile of patient safety in U.S. hospitals.Health Aff (Millwood). 2003; 22: 154-166
- In-hospital complications associated with catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation in the United States between 2000 and 2010: analysis of 93 801 procedures.Circulation. 2013; 128: 2104-2112
- National trends in utilization and postprocedure outcomes for carotid artery revascularization 2005 to 2007.J Vasc Surg. 2011; 53: 307-315
- Safety of stenting and endarterectomy by symptomatic status in the Carotid Revascularization Endarterectomy Versus Stenting Trial (CREST).Stroke. 2011; 42: 675-680
- The good, the bad, and the about-to-get ugly: national trends in carotid revascularization: comment on “Geographic variation in carotid revascularization among Medicare beneficiaries, 2003-2006”.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 1225-1227
- Operator experience and carotid stenting outcomes in Medicare beneficiaries.JAMA. 2011; 306: 1338-1343
- Carotid artery stenting with neuroprotection: assessing the learning curve and treatment outcome.Am J Surg. 2005; 190: 850-857
- Appropriateness of learning curve for carotid artery stenting: an analysis of periprocedural complications.J Vasc Surg. 2006; 44 (discussion 1211–1212): 1205-1211
- 2011 ASA/ACCF/AHA/AANN/AANS/ACR/ASNR/CNS/SAIP/SCAI/SIR/SNIS/SVM/SVS guideline on the management of patients with extracranial carotid and vertebral artery disease: executive summary. A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines, and the American Stroke Association, American Association of Neuroscience Nurses, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, American College of Radiology, American Society of Neuroradiology, Congress of Neurological Surgeons, Society of Atherosclerosis Imaging and Prevention, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, Society of Interventional Radiology, Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery, Society for Vascular Medicine, and Society for Vascular Surgery.Circulation. 2011; 124: 489-532
Buschur M, Gurm HS. Carotid artery stenting versus carotid endarterectomy: post CREST. Curr Cardiol Rep. 2012 Feb 5 [Epub ahead of print].
- 30 day results from the SPACE trial of stent-protected angioplasty versus carotid endarterectomy in symptomatic patients: a randomised non-inferiority trial.Lancet. 2006; 368: 1239-1247
- Late outcomes after carotid artery stenting versus carotid endarterectomy: insights from a propensity-matched analysis of the Reduction of Atherothrombosis for Continued Health (REACH) Registry.Circulation. 2010; 122: 1091-1100
- Outcomes after carotid artery stenting and endarterectomy in the Medicare population.Stroke. 2011; 42: 2019-2025
- The risk and benefit of endarterectomy in women with symptomatic internal carotid artery disease.Stroke. 2005; 36: 27-31
- Prevention of disabling and fatal strokes by successful carotid endarterectomy in patients without recent neurological symptoms: randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2004; 363: 1491-1502
- Carotid endarterectomy for asymptomatic carotid stenosis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; : CD001923
- Clinical and angiographic risk factors for stroke and death within 30 days after carotid endarterectomy and stent-protected angioplasty: a subanalysis of the SPACE study.Lancet Neurol. 2008; 7: 216-222
- A comparative analysis of the outcomes of carotid stenting and carotid endarterectomy in women.J Vasc Surg. 2010; 51 (discussion 344): 337-344
- The Nationwide Inpatient Sample may contain inaccurate data for carotid endarterectomy and carotid stenting.J Vasc Surg. 2012; 55: 263-266
- Endarterectomy versus stenting in patients with symptomatic severe carotid stenosis.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 1660-1671
- Clinical results of carotid artery stenting compared with carotid endarterectomy.J Vasc Surg. 2008; 47: 343-349
- The type of embolic protection does not influence the outcome in carotid artery stenting.J Vasc Surg. 2007; 46: 251-256
- Costs and cost-effectiveness of carotid stenting versus endarterectomy for patients at standard surgical risk: results from the Carotid Revascularization Endarterectomy Versus Stenting Trial (CREST).Stroke. 2012; 43: 2408-2416
- Comorbidities, complications, and coding bias. Does the number of diagnosis codes matter in predicting in-hospital mortality?.JAMA. 1992; 267: 2197-2203
Drs. Badheka, Chothani, Panaich, Mehta, and Patel contributed equally to this work.
No study-specific funding was used to support this work. The authors are solely responsible for the study design, conduct and analyses, and drafting and editing of the manuscript and its final contents. No statement should be construed as an official position of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality or the US Department of Health and Human Services. All authors had access to the data and a role in writing the manuscript.
See page 939 for disclosure information.