Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Emergency duties and deaths from heart disease among firefighters in the United States.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 1207-1215
- Cardiovascular disease in US firefighters.Cardiol Rev. 2011; 19: 202-215
- A clinician's guide to the ABCs of cardiovascular disease prevention: the Johns Hopkins Ciccarone Center for the Prevention of Heart Disease and American College of Cardiology Cardiosource Approach to the Million Hearts Initiative.Clin Cardiol. 2013; 36: 383-393
- Quantification of coronary artery calcium using ultrafast computed tomography.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1990; 15: 827-832
- Use of carotid ultrasound to identify subclinical vascular disease and evaluate cardiovascular disease risk: a consensus statement from the American Society of Echocardiography Carotid Intima-Media Thickness Task Force. Endorsed by the Society for Vascular Medicine.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2008; 21: 93-111
- Carotid artery intimal-medial thickness distribution in general populations as evaluated by B-mode ultrasound.Stroke. 1993; 24: 1297-1304
- Normative values and correlates of mean common carotid intima-media thickness in the Korean rural middle-aged population: the Atherosclerosis RIsk of Rural Areas iN Korea General Population (ARIRANG) study.J Korean Med Sci. 2011; 26: 365-371
- Insulin deficiency and insulin resistance interaction in diabetes: estimation of their relative contribution by feedback analysis from basal plasma insulin and glucose concentrations.Metabolism. 1979; 28: 1086-1096
- Executive Summary of the Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III).JAMA. 2001; 285: 2486-2497
http://hp2010.nhlbihin.net/atpiii/calculator.asp. Accessed August 1, 2013.
- C-reactive protein and parental history improve global cardiovascular risk prediction: the Reynolds Risk Score for men.Circulation. 2008; 118: 2243-2251
- General cardiovascular risk profile for use in primary care. The Framingham Heart Study.Circulation. 2008; 117: 743-753
- 2013 ACC/AHA Guideline on the Assessment of Cardiovascular Risk: a Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines.Circulation. 2013 Nov 12;
- Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome: an American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Scientific Statement.Circulation. 2005; 112: 2735-2752
http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-products/Firefighter-Accountability/articles/1063922-Top-10-firefighter-statistics/. Accessed December 11, 2013.
- Sudden cardiac death among firefighters ≤45 years of age in the United States.Am J Cardiol. 2013; 112: 1962-1967
- Risk factors for subclinical atherosclerosis in firefighters.J Occup Environ Med. 2012; 54: 328-335
- Firefighters, heart disease, and aspects of insulin resistance.J Occup Environ Med. 2011; 53: 758-764
- Coronary calcium scanning independently detects coronary artery disease in asymptomatic firefighters: a prospective study.J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2013; 7: 46-50
- Improvements in risk stratification for the occurrence of cardiovascular disease by imaging subclinical atherosclerosis: a systematic review.Heart. 2012; 98: 177-184
- Comparative effectiveness of risk markers for cardiovascular risk assessment in intermediate-risk individuals: coronary artery calcium vs “the rest”.Curr Cardiovasc Imaging Rep. 2013; 6: 203-210
- Coronary artery calcification compared with carotid intima-media thickness in prediction of cardiovascular disease incidence: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA).Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168: 1333-1339
- Absence of coronary artery calcification and all cause mortality.JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2009; 2: 692-700
- Carotid intima-media thickness testing as an asymptomatic cardiovascular disease identifier and method for making therapeutic decisions.Postgrad Med. 2013; 125: 108-123
- Evaluation of newer risk markers for coronary heart disease risk classification: a cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2012; 156: 438-444
- Comparison of novel risk markers for improvement in cardiovascular risk assessment in intermediate-risk individuals.JAMA. 2012; 308: 788-795
This study was funded by a research grant from the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation . The lipid profiles were generously supplied by Atherotech Diagnostics Lab (Birmingham, Alabama). Ms. Carson's work on the study was supported by the Johns Hopkins Institute for Clinical and Translational Research (ICTR), which is funded in part by grant UL1 TR 000424-06 from the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS) , a component of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and NIH Roadmap for Medical Research. The contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official view of the Johns Hopkins ICTR, NCATS, or NIH. The sponsors had no role in the study design, collection, analysis, or interpretation of data or in the decision to submit the manuscript for publication.
See page 1504 for disclosure information.