Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Influence of nicotinic acid on serum cholesterol in man.Arch Biochem. 1955; 54: 558-559
- Safety considerations with niacin therapy.Am J Cardiol. 2007; 99: 22C-31C
- Contrasting effects of unmodified and time-release forms of niacin on lipoproteins in hyperlipidemic subjects: clues to mechanism of action of niacin.Metabolism. 1985; 34: 642-650
- Effectiveness of once-nightly dosing of extended-release niacin alone and in combination for hypercholesterolemia.Am J Cardiol. 1998; 82: 737-743
- Equivalent efficacy of a time-release form of niacin (Niaspan) given once-a-night versus plain niacin in the management of hyperlipidemia.Metabolism. 1998; 47: 1097-1104
- Effect of statins on risk of coronary disease: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.JAMA. 1999; 282: 2340-2346
- MRC/BHF Heart Protection Study of cholesterol lowering with simvastatin in 20,536 high-risk individuals: a randomised placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2002; 360: 7-22
- Frequency and importance of conversion to large buoyant LDL with simvastatin and niacin therapy: comparison of four methods.Circulation. 2003; 108 ([abstract]): IV-197
- Effects of lowering elevated LDL cholesterol on the cardiovascular risk of lipoprotein(a).JAMA. 1995; 274: 1771-1774
- Efficacy and safety of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol-increasing compounds: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005; 45: 185-197
- Regression of coronary artery disease as a result of intensive lipid-lowering therapy in men with high levels of apolipoprotein B.N Engl J Med. 1990; 323: 1289-1298
- Moderate dose, three-drug therapy with niacin, lovastatin, and colestipol to reduce low-density lipoprotein cholesterol <100 mg/dl in patients with hyperlipidemia and coronary artery disease.Am J Cardiol. 1997; 80: 111-115
- Very intensive lipid therapy with lovastatin, niacin, and colestipol for prevention of death and myocardial infarction: a 10-year Familial Atherosclerosis Treatment Study (FATS) follow-up.Circulation. 1998; 98 ([abstract]): I-635
- Simvastatin and niacin, antioxidant vitamins, or the combination for the prevention of coronary disease.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 1583-1592
- A randomized trial of a strategy for increasing high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels: effects on progression of coronary heart disease and clinical events.Ann Intern Med. 2005; 142: 95-104
- Safety and tolerability of simvastatin plus niacin in patients with coronary artery disease and low high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (the HDL Atherosclerosis Treatment Study).Am J Cardiol. 2004; 93: 307-312
- High-density lipoprotein cholesterol and cardiovascular disease: four prospective American studies.Circulation. 1989; 79: 8-15
- Twelve-year incidence of coronary heart disease in middle-aged adults during the era of hypertensive therapy: the Framingham Offspring Study.Am J Med. 1991; 90: 11-16
- Effects of intensive multiple risk factor reduction on coronary atherosclerosis and clinical cardiac events in men and women with coronary artery disease.Circulation. 1994; 89: 975-990
- Raising high-density lipoprotein in humans through inhibition of cholesteryl ester transfer protein: an initial multidose study of torcetrapib.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004; 24: 490-497
Kos submits supplemental new drug application to FDA for new Niaspan® CF range of products [news release]. July 12, 2006. Kos Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Website. Available at: http://www.kospharm.com/files/7122006.pdf. Accessed July 17, 2006.
- GPR109A (PUMA-G/HM74A) mediates nicotinic acid-induced flushing.J Clin Intest. 2005; 115: 3634-3640
- PUMA-G and HM74 are receptors for nicotinic acid and mediate its anti-lipolytic effect.Nat Med. 2003; 9: 352-355
- (d)-β-Hydroxybutyrate inhibits adipocyte lipolysis via the nicotinic acid receptor PUMA-G.J Biol Chem. 2005; 280: 26649-26652
Kim PS. Research overview Merck Laboratories Website. Available at: http://library.corporate-ir.net/library/73/731/73184/items/177359/research1.pdf. Accessed July 24, 2006.
- Benefits of niacin by glycemic status in patients with healed myocardial infarction (from the Coronary Drug Project).Am J Cardiol. 2005; 95: 254-257
- Efficacy, safety, and tolerability of once-daily niacin for treatment of dyslipidemia associated with type 2 diabetes: results of the Assessment of Diabetes Control and Evaluation of the Efficacy of Niaspan Trial (ADVENT).Arch Intern Med. 2002; 162: 1568-1576
- Clofibrate and niacin in coronary heart disease.JAMA. 1975; 231: 360-381
- Cholesterol and lipids in the risk of coronary artery disease—the Framingham Heart Study.Can J Cardiol. 1988; 4: 5A-10A