Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Final rule declaring dietary supplements containing ephedrine alkaloids adulterated because they present an unreasonable risk. Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration 2004:1–363. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/OHRMS/DOCKETS/98fr/1995n-0304-nfr0001.pdf. Accessed July 12, 2004.
- Efficacy and safety of ephedra and ephedrine for weight loss and athletic performance: a meta-analysis.JAMA. 2003; 289: 1537-1545
- Adverse cardiovascular and central nervous system events associated with dietary supplements containing ephedra alkaloids.N Engl J Med. 2000; 343: 1833-1838
- The relative safety of ephedra compared with other herbal products.Ann Intern Med. 2003; 138: 468-471
Kaufman DW, Kelly JP, Mitchell AA. Use of ephedra-containing products in the U.S. population. Data from the Sloane Survey 2003. FDA Docket Number 1995N-0304, emc126, vol. 297:1–9.
Durbin D. Press Release: Durbin asks manufacturers of “ephedra-free” dietary supplements to provide safety info; renews call to FDA for ban on ephedra products. Available at: http://durbin.senate.gov/∼durbin/new2001/press/2003/07/2003806401.html. Accessed July 12, 2004.
- Seville (sour) orange juice: synephrine content and cardiovascular effects in normotensive adults.J Clin Pharmacol. 2001; 41: 1059-1063
- Hoffman BB, Taylor P. Neurotransmission. In: Hardman JG, Limbird LE, eds. Goodman and Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 10th ed. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY2001 (115–153)
- Assessing the quality of reports of randomized clinical trials: is blinding necessary?.Controlled Clin Trials. 1996; 17: 1-12
- The effect of thermogenic weight loss supplement on energy intake and blood chemistries in obese adults (abstr).Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2001; 33: S337
- Thermogenic effect and body composition changes with weight loss supplement in obese adults.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2001; 33: S337
- Effects of a weight-loss aid in healthy overweight adults: double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial.Curr Ther Res. 2000; 61: 199-205
- The effects of acute citrus aurantium ingestion on energy expenditure in mildly obese subjects (abstr).Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2003; 35: S248
- Effect of thermogenic dietary supplements on resting metabolic rate in healthy male and female volunteers (abstr).Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1999; 31: S164
- Effects of citrus aurantium extract, caffeine, and St.Curr Ther Res. 1999; 60: 145-153
Dr. Bent was supported by Grant 1 K08 ATO1338-01 from the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Bethesda, Maryland.