This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The relation between changes in left ventricular wall systolic thickening and other measures of left ventricular function were studied during regional ischemia in 14 open chest pigs. A fixed decrease in coronary peak blood flow from 46 ± 5 (standard error) to 13 ± 2 ml/min was produced using a screw clamp and flow probe placed around the left anterior descending coronary artery. Myocardial wall thickness was measured with a calibrated harpoon mercury strain gauge placed through the apical portion of the left ventricle and recorded continuously with left ventricular systolic pressure, the first derivative of left ventricular pressure rise () and pressure-derived peak velocity of contraction. During systole, the left ventricle thickened by 10.7 ± 2.1 percent of its total average thickness of 12.7 ± 0.7 mm. Within 6 seconds of the onset of ischemia total myocardial wall thickness decreased from 1.356 ± 0.135 to 0.592 ± 0.081 mm (P < 0.001) or to 45.2 ± 5.1 percent of the control value. During ischemia, changes were noted in both the isovolumic and the ejection phases of systole in addition to left ventricular wall thinning of 0.282 ± 0.02 mm at enddiastole. There was no significant change in left ventricular pressure or its derived values. In two experiments isolated wall thickness alternans was observed. These studies indicate that myocardial wall thickness is more sensitive than ventricular pressure as a measure of local changes in myocardial function during regional myocardial ischemia.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Cardiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The effect of coronary occlusion on myocardial contraction.Am J Physiol. 1935; 112: 351-361
- Localized disorders in myocardial contraction.N Engl J Med. 1967; 277: 222-232
- Myocardial infarction following coronary ligation in dogs.Circ Res. 1967; 21: 191-199
- Persistence of contractile behaviour in acutely ischaemic myocardium.Cardiovasc Res. 1969; 3: 249-260
- Strain-gauge arch recordings from acutely ischemic area of the left ventricle.J Appl Physiol. 1967; 23: 398-400
- Effects of hypoxia and ischemia on myocardial contraction.Cardiology. 1971/1972; 56: 302-313
- Analog calculation of (abstr).Circulation. 1971; 44: II-53
- Changes in myocardial wall thickness (MWT) in open chest dogs.Pfluegers Arch. 1973; 340: 35-50
- Quantification of function in normal and infarcted regions of the left ventricle.Cardiovasc Res. 1972; 6: 516-531
- Measurement of canine left ventricular performance by cineradiography of the heart.J Appl Physiol. 1970; 29: 877-883
- Radiographic evaluation of dynamic geometry of the left ventricle.J Appl Physiol. 1971; 31: 227-234
- Dynamic changes in left ventricular free wall thickness in the human heart.Circulation. 1969; 39: 455-464
- Determination of left ventricular wall thickness by angiocardiography.Am Heart J. 1969; 78: 513-522
- Geometrical studies of the left ventricle utilizing biplane cinefluorography.in: second ed. Fed Proc. 28. 1969: 1334-1343
- Myocardial mural thickness during the cardiac cycle.Circ Res. 1964; 19: 541-545
- Left ventricular wall thickness changes in unanesthetized horses.in: Tanz RD Kavaler F Roberts G Factors Influencing Myocardial Contractility. Academic Press, New York1967: 163-177
- Systolic changes in ventricular thickness in intact dogs (abstr).Circulation. 1971; 44: II-173
- Dimensional analysis of ventricular function: effects of anesthetics and thoracotomy.Am J Physiol. 1972; 222: 540-545
- Alternate deletion and potentiation as the cause of pulsus alternans.Am Heart J. 1969; 78: 669-681
- The demonstration of alternating contractile state in pulsus alternans.J Clin Invest. 1970; 49: 1166-1177
- Biochemical aspects of early myocardial ischemia.Am J Cardiol. 1969; 24: 766-775
- Observations on factors affecting local forces in the left ventricular wall during acute myocardial ischemia.Circ Res. 1971; 29: 306-316
- Comparison between metabolic changes in local venous and coronary sinus blood after acute experimental coronary arterial occlusion.Am J Cardiol. 1970; 25: 562-570
De Jong JW, Goldstein S: Changes in coronary venous inosine concentration and myocardial wall thickening during regional ischemia in the pig. Circ Res, in press
Accepted: December 5, 1973
☆This study was carried out during Dr. Goldstein's tenure as Visiting Professor at the Thoraxcenter, Medical Faculty, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
© 1974 Published by Elsevier Inc.